02 December 2010

Snowmagedda-bout it!

When A and I first became serious enough to discuss marriage and a future together, and once it became necessary to begin researching the ins and outs of a life abroad, I found comfort and occasionally inspiration from other ‘expat’ blogs.  It’s reassuring knowing that there are others out there in similar circumstances, many of whom have blazed the trail before me.  

When I first decided to blog about my own transition, I did so mainly for the benefit of my family and friends as a means to share excerpts and anecdotes from my ‘new’ life.  Having kept up with the adventures and observations of other Americans who have already moved country, I did at times question my potential for producing much original material. On the other hand, I questioned whether it matters, considering that while some things are somewhat universal to Americans in the UK, my own personal experiences would be new to me, and novel to my originally intended audience.   Having similar experiences to other expats makes them no less relevant or worthy, and some things never cease to amuse. 

To that end, I’ve been recalling some rather humorous blog entries from last winter.  At that time, I was still living in the States, often giggling about a clever colloquialism which appeared to be en vogue … ‘Snowmageddon!’.  I’m referring to the reaction by other American expats to what happens in the United Kingdom when it snows.  This Kansas gal was perplexed at the headlines of the time, which indicated that life was coming to a complete standstill across the Atlantic, with major disruptions in all forms of transportation and varied hardship, and all from what appeared to be a small amount of snow!  Upon seeing the photographs, I couldn’t fathom it.  I’ve driven for years up and down a steep driveway, and across town in near whiteout conditions, in snow both light and heavy, shallow and deep, and ice to boot.  I kept bags of salt or sand in my garage at the ready, along with ice scrapers and shovels, and got on with life. 

Fast forward to 2010 and here I sit … snowbound … in the UK.  

I wondered what all the fuss was about.  Now I know.  On this subject, I feel I must respectfully disagree with my fellow expats who had a laugh about last year’s snow.  I admit that on the first day of snow this year, I did laugh at first.  Where I live, you could still see blades of grass poking through and a few bald patches of road with scattered snow drifts.  Cake, I thought!  (It would be in Kansas).  That is, until A and I tried to drive down the incredibly narrow roads and steep set of hills into town!  Ultimately A and many of his colleagues were ordered off work due to hazardous driving conditions in Cumbria.  This year is much the same as last, and once again across the UK airports have shut, some roads are closed, traffic is queueing or gridlocked on others, supplies of ‘grit’ are dwindling, some school days have been canceled, and once again life is majorly disrupted as Britain experiences what is reported to be the second year in a row of the worst snow in decades.  

I’ve stopped laughing.  I now understand.  

Still, in fairness, no two experiences are identical, and we’re all shaped by our own perceptions.  Perhaps some other expats reside in flat lands with straighter roads.  Perhaps they don’t have to drive across rural fells to work.  I’m not knocking their views, and in fact thoroughly enjoyed their humour-infused blogs on the topic. I simply don’t relate now that I’ve observed firsthand the difficulties posed by bitter cold, snow and ice where we live. 
 

I can’t complain too much, though.  All the seasons, even winter, look beautiful on Cumbria…






2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog -- love it! Gorgeous photos. Winter in Cumbria is a whole different kettle of fish to the London winter that gets all the headlines. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, K.A.! I had a look at your blog as well and will be back for more :) I especially identified with your piece on stationery ... !

    ReplyDelete