04 May 2010

27 Forgotten Miles...

There are 27 miles of scenic British road that I've travelled today and shall not remember an inch of. As I dearly love English countryside, it should not be possible for me to forget a nice drive on a dry day in Cumbria. So how did I manage?

I'll give you some clues: white knuckles, death grip on steering wheel, feeling 16 again, wishing I had L-plates? No? Careening miraculously through round-a-bouts and wondering what on earth just happened, and desperately trying to stay between the lines when I felt like I was in what is supposed to be oncoming traffic.

Yes, today I drove a British car on British roads for the very first time! I somehow managed to get A and I back to his in one piece, albeit slowly (much to the chagrin of the 6 or so vehicles on my tail for some distance of no-passing zones).

I remember being 16 and learning to drive and becoming newly licensed. I remember that same death grip on the steering wheel, and the same fear that I'd never really get comfortable behind it. I couldn't imagine ever being as relaxed as other drivers I knew. With the passage of time, of course, I did. I never could have anticipated re-living this phase, yet here I am! It's hard to fathom that for some of us, a simple shift of the steering wheel to the right side of the car and a shift in travel lane to the left side of the road could leave one so off-kilter, but for me it has. I know there are lucky ones out there who can make such shifts right off with no hassle. I am just not one of them. So today, I caught myself wondering the same things I did at 16... would this ever become easier?

I expended a fair amount of adrenaline today. Tomorrow won't be any easier. I doubt the 5th or 20th time will either. Yet I know that once I am here to stay if I work at it that day will likely come. (If I ever master parallel parking which is just not as needed a skill in the wide-open spaces of the Midwest USA).


For the next couple of weeks, if you happen to be in Cumbria, you may want to give a wider berth if you encounter a wide-eyed brunette in a silver Kia. The pale countenance and extra-white knuckles will be your cue...

4 comments:

  1. Haha, oh you poor thing, it must be awful, I can only imagine, my sister would be feeling exactly the same as you do, I'm one of the lucky ones that has no problem switching to driving on the other side of the road. It will get better.

    Glad I live in Essex though !!!!

    Hugs RosieP x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, not really funny I know!! Wait till you go to the supermarket and park - nowhere near as much room as the US!!! Good luck!! Luckily I am at home in the south of England!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite the driving (it does get easier) I hope you are having a fantastic visit here in
    England.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the warning! Tehe, great postxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete