05 April 2010

Ridiculous!

At the risk of sounding like a snob, or an antique, I’ve been noticing an increase in – shall we say – ‘American colloquialisms’ (better known as urban slang) en vogue these days and not, in my opinion, for our betterment. I do realize that my views on this will likely produce more than a few smirks, snickers, suppressed giggles, and sarky remarks from my British friends. Yes, I do see the irony of all that I’m about to complain about. However, it’s not my fault that I wasn’t brought up with the Queen’s English! I spent my entire life proud of my ‘proper’ usage of ‘English’, only to find out (to my horror) a few years ago that ‘English’ is actually my second language!

Apparently I speak proper American-English. (Pausing for the laughter I can just about hear from over the pond).

All those years of being teased in school for my expansive vocabulary, (or the fact that my favorite [favourite] book of all time is ‘The Joy of Lex’ by Giles Brandreth) to learn that in fact I can’t even pronounce ‘Aluminum’ (Aluminium) correctly!

Yet I digress.

I grew up loving Shakespeare (though I was aware of the theory that his English may have been colloquial for its time). I inhaled the Canterbury Tales and several classics and have always been interested in the evolution of language. My grandmother and mother were very careful to insist that I use proper ‘English’ (American). I turned my nose up at words like ‘ain’t’ or ending sentences with the word ‘at’.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have unfortunately absorbed some of the older and/or milder American ‘slang’ vernacular and find myself uttering phrases I wish I hadn’t, or over-using the word ‘like’. I cannot claim perfect usage!

It occurred to me recently that today’s urban slang must make it more difficult for non-American speaking foreigners to learn our language. Take for example, the latest installment I’ve heard most recently – ‘Ridiculous’. I remember when ridiculous meant absurd or inspiring ridicule. I’m still rather attached to that definition. Apparently to some people it now means something along the lines of ‘amazing’ (in a pleasant way). It was bad enough when we had to start hearing ‘words’ (and I use that term loosely) such as ‘dude’, ‘bling’, ‘shizzle’, ‘ginormous’, ‘bass ackwards’, ‘mack’, ‘wack’, ‘lugie’, ‘bad’(meaning impressive or good), ‘tricked out’, ‘nuff. Now we have ‘ridiculous’ … and worse yet, ‘ridonculous’.

To this relic, bad means undesirable, and wack is spelled whack and is only something one might do with a stick but shouldn’t do, and mack is a type of truck or a person’s nickname perhaps. Therefore, I am holding fast to the ‘ridiculous’ I learned as a child and my definition perfectly fits my view of its current usage!


Ironically, I suspect the tables will turn on me once I am in the UK and I have to explain over and over again that, after all, English is (sadly) my second language... (and a work in progress).


I’m sure I’ll ‘bodge’ a few expressions and appear quite ‘barmy’ to some.



Gutted.

8 comments:

  1. Ha, that was funny, I'm with you though, my son who is 9 is always saying 'sick'meaning how great was that, to me that word meant either vomit or that some deed was really bad !

    Hugs RosieP x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting thoughts on the great divide between English and American English. Sometimes I almost wonder if I should offer a translator on my blog for my American audience. All the favours/colours/realises must look so wrong to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me again, just read one of your comments on an older blog of mine, Angel is actually my sister and Kelly @ Kelly's recepies for life is her daughter, although I can well understand the confusion.
    I understand exactly what you mean, english houses are very frugal when it comes to storage space.

    Hugs RosieP x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello to you!!! I will try to use proper english!!Hehe. x Thankyou so much for popping by and saying hello, lovely to meet you!! I love your blog too and will be following you! Thankyou for your kind commentxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I speak proper inglish I do missus!!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are still some people and words I have no idea what they are saying, but oh well. Sometimes you have to learn to smile anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trust me, you will see quickly when you move over that there are lots of phrases and words you don't know, but you will pick them up in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love ridonculous!! Didn't you know I started that word?! =P

    ReplyDelete