09 October 2010

Lost...

Who knew the basics could be so challenging?  A and I went on a brief outing to the ‘shop’ (grocery store) today.  It was a little bewildering though we ostensibly speak the same language (-ish).  All the fluids were in millilitres instead of fluid ounces.  The food labels list units such as ‘energies’.  It took me ten or fifteen minutes to locate the most basic product because many brand and product names are unrecognizable to me.  For example, I was in search of shaving gel for women.  I looked and looked on the aisle it should have been on.  There was a huge section of men’s shaving cream.  I finally had to ask a clerk, who looked puzzled and asked’ shaving gel… for women?’.  We did eventually locate it – there were exactly two on the shelf to choose from and they were rather tucked away at that.  

Another thing I’ve noticed is that we are often asked the question ‘are you alright’?  It seems that this has two potential meanings in the UK.   In the context of a shop or similar it may mean ‘can I help you’?  In passing, it can also mean ‘how are you’ or ‘hello’.  To the American ear, it typically means something more like ‘is something wrong … can I phone an ambulance for you or get you a glass of water or a chair’.  This may give me a complex at worst, or just take some getting used to.  

When it was time to check out – it got more interesting.  Although this may vary by shop, in this shop I found that in addition to paying for bags – they do not bag your groceries for you, nor do they wait for you to bag your own.  You must toss them rapidly into your cart as they fly off the conveyor and once paid – move your cart out of the way and bag them wherever you can find a little space to do so.  

Afterwards, we filled up with ‘petrol’ (gas), which is sold by the litre (and shockingly expensive!).  The upside is that the cars here get far superior mpg.  

It’s amazing that I can feel quite so lost in a place where English is the primary language and which for all intents and purposes is as modern as the world I left behind.   I can see so much that I’m going to love here … I just hope that people can allow for my learning curve while I shuffle aimlessly along like Paddington Bear. 


Consolation prize:  They have Costa Coffee!!  






2 comments:

  1. Ah my dear, sadly non of our shops are like Wal-Mart, you just don't have the same choice here or the same prices. You'll soon get used to it, and when you visit America pay for extra baggage and bring loads of your favourite stuff back with you, that what we do.

    I know when we were in Florida we had to buy so 'gas' to get back to the airport, we put in $10 and got half a tank, over here that wouldn't even move the gauge!

    Hugs RosieP x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep writing these down! Wish I'd done it when I first moved here...so many things that amused me. Like when I came across a 'tin' (can) of something called Spotted Dick. I still don't know what it is, but apparently it's edible...

    ReplyDelete