28 February 2010

The Great Teakettle Debate

A and I have been having a series of discussions regarding what sorts of things of mine I’d like to bring with me after we marry and I relocate to live with him in the UK. We already have an outline of our plan, and a pretty good idea of how this will work in our case. However, there is one little item that has set off quite a lively and ongoing debate between us. A teakettle of all things!

Now this requires some defining. When I say teakettle… this is what I mean:





When A thinks of kettles for preparing tea… this more like what he has in mind:





What I can’t get him to understand… is that I LIKE my whistling non-electric teakettle! It’s not that I’m attached to the particular one I own at the moment… it’s that I’m attached to the concept. I wouldn’t know how to effectively explain my rationale to someone who doesn’t use these. A says they are soooooo inefficient. I love the way they whistle when the water is boiled and ready. Plus, in my opinion (and no offense to anyone who has an electric kettle!!), you can get such pretty or sleek looking whistling teakettles. It’s not as much about the look of it though for me. I think it’s more of a comfort… a cozy association from many years of tradition and use.

The debate will no doubt continue for a time until we resolve it. It’s not a serious matter for us as there are certainly more important things in life. My closing argument for today, while not necessarily rational, is nonetheless illustrated when I say that a whistling teakettle makes me feel something like this…


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog, and good luck with your move to the UK, however, I think your choice of tea kettle may well be governed by the type of cooker, gas (which is great for the whistling kettle) or electric which is not so great !! Good luck with that one and let us know how it goes.

    I really enjoyed reading your blog.

    Hugs RosieP x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The British men have strong opinions about the tea and how it's fixed:) I would put it on the "back burner" and check out the situation once you get here and agree with the other commenter on the type of stove you have. At any rate you can still have your whistling tea kettle on the stove. It's hard to decide what to bring and what not to bring. I brought some cookie sheets that I loved, but were too big to fit in my oven here:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments and input! Wise women 'pick their battles', and perhaps it's premature at that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my whistling tea kettle! I can't even imagine an electric tea pot! ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post made me smile. My daughter teases me on what she calls "Mom's rituals" (which of course include the whistling tea kettle) I say, just do what makes you happy whenever possible! I'm glad I found your Blog and will be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, just to let you know you have an award waiting for you over at my blog.

    Hugs RosieP x

    ReplyDelete